It’s only July and we have already experienced everything the Great British Summer can throw at us.
From our offices in Worthing we have gone from heaters on, to windows open fighting over the precious few fans as we baked in 35c temperatures. A few days later and normality returned after the compulsory thunder storms, of course.
In early July Summer appeared to be over but temperatures are set to rise again – time to find that fan again!
You’d be forgiven for thinking only of ice cream and beaches at this time of year but we must bring you back down to earth (sorry about that!).
It’s because now is exactly the right time to consider getting your home or workplace Winter ready – as they say – ‘The time to repair a roof is when the sun is shining’.
Your home will probably be at its very driest soon so it’s a brilliant time to have a quick walk around both inside and out to assess whether there are any problems. Look for
- Any cracking to bricks or rendering on the outside
- Missing mortar (cement) between the bricks
- Grass or other plants growing in the gutters
- Missing slates or tiles
- Any signs of dampness or mould especially behind furniture or curtains
- Any rooms that seem unusually hotter or colder than usual
- Collections of dead woodlice in corners or behind furniture
- Any water marks on the walls
If you see any of these the issue will need further investigation. We’re happy to help if it’s to do with render, brickwork or defective insulation, if it may be due to something else – a slipped tile or water leak for example – we suggest you find a reliable local builder on www.checkatrade.com where everybody I verified and you can search customer reviews.
So have a quick check around today and then go back to enjoying the Summer, at least while it lasts.